At Luminati Ltd environmental stewardship starts in the workplace but extends far beyond. For us, being green means a respect for our external environment and a total commitment to; eliminating pollution and waste, minimising the use of natural resources, maximising reuse and recycling and working steadily to reduce our carbon footprint.
Together with our employees, customers, suppliers and partners we strive to devise and implement solutions that work for Luminati Ltd and protect the world around us.
- Regular ‘Being Green’ meetings with shop floor staff to review operations, generate green ideas and encourage energy saving
- Discussions with our supply chain to identify and implement innovative environmental initiatives
- Working with partners to assess our environmental initiatives, set new objectives and implement new processes
- Supplying end use products that are completely recyclable
Together we have achieved and will continue to improve upon:-
Pollution prevention and waste reduction
In our effort to prevent pollution and preserve natural resources, we continue to work towards a reduction in waste generation and the recycling or reuse of waste we cannot eliminate. This includes the implementation of the following:
In 2009 Luminati was one of the first businesses in the country to sign up to a tangible ‘green’ initiative designed specifically for recycling plastic products. Luminati now uses specifically designed one tonne cages and stillages to recycle a variety of plastics materials including acrylic and foam PVC. This innovative system effectively utilises storage space and maximises the efficiency of collections
Acrylics are joined together by using solvents. All solvents are supplied in recyclable glass containers using a deliver and collection scheme
All acrylic products are recyclable and we encourage consumers to recycle responsibly at the end of the product lifecycle
Through investment and new production techniques we are now able to maximise the most product out of a sheet of raw material therefore reducing wastage. This system was introduced early in 2010 and already it is estimated raw material efficiency and the reduction of waste has been improved by 20-25%.
Luminati has introduced and encourages paper free procedures
In the 2009/10 financial year Luminati set itself a target to reduce its energy consumption by 10%. This has been achieved by systematic reviews of energy consumption and together with ideas generated by our employees the following initiatives have been undertaken over the past 12 months.
- Lighting sensors have been installed in low use traffic areas such as; toilets, stores and corridors. In certain work areas lighting has been lowered, so it is more directional and has reduced light waste
- Installation of partition walls and strip curtaining to reduce heat loss from working areas
- A reduction of business miles through ruling out non necessary trips and encouraging the use of conference calling.
- Encouraging employee car share scheme and signing up the cycle to work initiative
- Working with suppliers to encourage raw material deliveries and collection of material for recycling via one vehicle, one trip.
- Buy local sourcing policy. Luminati manufactures the majority of its products from its base at Ivybridge, Devon. Where ever possible supplies of products and services are sourced locally.
- The majority of specialist raw materials are sourced in the UK and Europe with only 10 percent originating outside Europe.
Organisations helping us develop our shade of green:
- Cycle to work scheme
- Western Electrical
- Recycle Plastics’(Acrylic)
- Biffa Waste (Cardboard, Tin cans, Plastic waste Cardboard and Paper)